Sunday, January 5, 2014

Finding the Positive

My front yard at dawn.
I was making coffee, standing at the counter just shivering. I thought to myself, "Well, at least you burn calories when you shiver!" That made me giggle just a little bit. It's one positive thing that will come out of all of this snow and cold. Yes, there will be lots of negatives and it will be hard for many people. And I realize it's a serious matter, but why not find the fun and silly to get us through these stressful times? So here is my list of positive things that may result from all of this snow and cold.


  • Calories will be burned by shivering. But please don't use it as an excuse to keep the thermostat down though! I know how many of you started a diet recently. 
  • Hot flashes become almost bearable. Or worse. Nothing like going from burning up to chilled.
  • You will have time to get caught up on the DVR and magazine reading. 
  • Spending time with your children will happen whether they want it or not. I know it's different for those with young kids versus teenagers, but this comes from the point of view of a mom with teens. I'll take what I can get...Ashlyn goes to college in 8 months. 
  • It's an opportunity to get those taxes started! I now everyone just struggles to carve out the time to work on those. Take advantage!
  • As you dream about warmer weather, think about all the projects you have planned for when that happens. I'm pretty sure you will find the snow quite wonderful after that.
  • Play Guess the Footprint. I always see a variety of footprints in the snow and it's fun to guess what creatures made them. 
  • Read War and Peace. 
  • Find things for your amazing, wonderful husband to bake and then nag him to do it. 
  • Train your puppy or dog or cat or hamster. They are bored too!
  • And the BEST thing about the snow? It covered up all the gross-ness that is my yard...the piles of you know what, the mud, the holes, the scattered straw. My yard truly looks like a Winder Wonderland. 
Those of you stuck inside because of the snow and the cold - What positive things are the result of today's weather drama? Please share!

1 comment:

  1. Today I'm going to take down Christmas decor, do some laundry, work on Kenzie's blanket so it's done before she leaves for Washington DC and hopefully work on her scrapbook. First, I have to get up off the couch. =)

    ReplyDelete